Q: My kitchen is chaos, help! What are some simple things I can do to improve my kitchen?
A: Eating will never go out of fashion. We will always need a place in the home where we can easily and safely prepare our food. The kitchen! Here are a few tips to help make your kitchen a better, safer and more efficient place to work in.
- Lighting is probably the most important thing to get right. Strip or spotlights work best to provide good, unobtrusive lighting.
- Hard flooring that’s easy to clean is another essential. Carpeting on floors surrounding kitchen counter and worktops is a big mistake.
- Electric sockets in abundance will make life so much easier. But remember to keep them all a good distance from water sources.
- Have all your regularly used utensils stored close to the areas where they will be used. This increases efficiency and reduces accidents.
- Choose the type of kitchen sink that’s best suited for you. They come in all shapes, double or single, and in a variety of materials. Think before you buy.
- The type of faucet on your sink is important too. Get a faucet with plenty of height. The swiveling type adds flexibility. Think through what you will prefer.
- Toddlers have greater ingenuity than you give them credit for. Fit any cupboard or drawer they can reach with childproof catches. Store all sharp objects, knives, etc. high and out of reach.