You’ve come across some pink mold in your shower. What exactly is this substance? Is it harmful, and how do you go about removing it?
Pink mold, also known as Serratia marcescens, is a microorganism often mistaken for mold, but it’s a type of bacteria rather than a fungus. These organisms thrive in warm, damp environments and feed on fatty substances like soap residue. While your bathroom provides an ideal habitat for them, you can take steps to prevent their growth.
Pink mold can be found in various areas of the bathroom such as the shower, tub, and toilet. While it’s generally not as hazardous to health as black mold and other fungi, it can lead to issues like urinary tract infections, gastrointestinal problems, and in rare cases, pneumonia. It’s important to remove it from your bathroom and take measures to keep it from reoccurring.
You have several options for eliminating pink mold. Effective solutions include chlorine or bleach, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and vinegar (never mix chlorine or bleach with hydrogen peroxide or any other cleaning solution!). After applying your chosen solution, be sure to squeegee the area dry. Additionally, protect yourself from contact with bacteria and chemicals by wearing gloves, goggles, and a mask. Regularly sanitize your bathroom and remove soap residue to prevent further growth. Wiping down wet surfaces after showering can also help prevent moisture buildup. Using a fan while showering can assist in reducing stagnant water in the bathroom.
If you find pink mold in your bathroom, know that you’re not alone. Many homeowners have dealt with these unsightly organisms. While the bathroom is a natural breeding ground for bacteria, with proper sterilization and diligence, we can make them feel unwelcome. Get to scrubbing!
Please be sure to contact us if you have any other health and safety questions in your bathroom so we can ensure you Love Where You Live.