Q. I want to create my dream master bathroom, but I don’t have a dream budget. What are some tips you have for remodeling a bathroom that can help me achieve both my dream and financial goals?
A. Have no fear – you can still turn your master bathroom into a luxurious spa-like retreat. Keeping your finances in line doesn’t have to be a stressful experience. We have outlined a few steps below:
- Decide on your personal style: Be it contemporary, modern or traditional, infuse your bathroom remodel with your own choice of style. Try browsing through online websites, like Houzz or Pinterest to generate ideas that will help you decide a unique theme for your master bathroom. Also try browsing our site and http://buildtheamericandream.com/.
- Generate a theme: A theme for your bathroom will link all the fixtures, décor and appliances together. The theme should be consistent, something that matches your bedroom’s style. It could be anything from tropical, romantic, natural, beach to minimalist. Just make sure the theme in your master bathroom reflects relaxation and comfort.
- Stick to your budget: Once you have set a budget for your bathroom, make sure to stick to it. People often go over their desired budget while trying to achieve their dream bathroom due to lack of proper guidance and research.
- Always keep it comfortable: While planning your dream bathroom remodel, do not forget that it’s a place that you will be using every day. Therefore, it should be comfortable enough for you. Not all luxurious and dreamy bathrooms are as functional as they look.
Even if you have limited resources, a bathroom remodel is still within reach. When planning to remodel your master bathroom:
Refinish your sink or tub especially if it is made from porcelain, cast iron or fiberglass.
- Paint or refinish the wood cabinets. If you have less storage space, install shelving in any extra wall space.
- Add a warm and earthy environment by simply adding dimmer switches to existing light fixtures.
- Use durable but inexpensive ceramic tiles for most of your floor and expensive tiles only as accents. If you are satisfied with your current tile, just make few necessary repairs.
- Paint lighter colors on your bathroom wall to make the room appear larger. Create dimensional effects using textured painting techniques.
- Use framed mirrors to add design to your master bathroom. Make sure to coordinate its look with the moldings.
Last but not the least, you should always ask yourself how can each decision effect your budget.